11 August 2009

food glorious food! Hyderabadi mutton biryani!

wow! had a fantab weekend and fantab weekends have fantab food to go with them!! 'twas a long weekend here with Women's day and it was a very good long weekend at that! had catechism formation on Saturday morning and lamb biryani for dinner! yum yum I didn't have time to make my own masala or measure spices and the like so what i did was use a biryani prepack, u know measured and mixed spices in 5 separate sachets and you use them at the appropriate time etc., used real ginger garlic paste a and real saffron... again divine just thinking about that saffron scent... such a wonderful, beautiful scent i thought nothing beat cinnamon in the kitchen but that saffron... makes sense why they use it in perfumes!

so below is the modified recipe i used.. as i said modified as i actually didn't hav the recipe in front of me so i did what i remembered from various vids on youtube.... i've embedded what I think the most perfect biryani cooking is... it's from vahchef @ vahrehvah.com.. he is fabulous!

the making of it was a family affair.... with me kinda conducting so continuous stirring was done by one whilst another chopped and the like. so here is an account with what people i.e. ven, tend, mo and fa did :D

fa and mo concentrated on making the equally fabulous fabulous sauce we had on the side... lots of mushrooms yum yum! reminds me of girl guides grace... Thank you for the food we eat yum yum...

· 3 – 4 cups. basmati rice

· salt

· lots of water for the rice

· whatever herbs or spices you want to flavor your rice, like mint, cardamom etc

For the Meat:

· 1.5 kg. lamb or mutton leg/shoulder cut into bite size pieces, washed and drained

· 4-5 tbs. oil or ghee

· 3 large potatoes peeled and cubed

· 3 large onions, peeled and thinly sliced

· 2 tablespoons ginger garlic paste

· 4 large cardamoms*,

· 6 green cardamoms*

· 2 inch piece of cinnamon*

· 4 bay leaves*

· 8-10 black pepper corns*

· 6-8 cloves*

· 2- 2 1/2 tsp. salt (adjust to taste)

· 1/2 tsp. chilli powder (adjust to taste)

· 1/2 cup thick yoghurt

· 2 large tomatoes, chopped

· 1 bunch of coriander leaves, chopped (didn’t have any)

· 1 small bunch of mint leaves, chopped (didn’t have any)

· A few strands of saffron soaked in ¼ cup of hot water

(*All my spices were measured for me as I used the pre-pack sachets I bought)

Instructions

First I marinated my lamb in half the yogurt and half the spices and salt for a couple of hours

ven thinly sliced the onions and tend fried them in some oil until quite dark brown.

I then added all whole spices (*cloves, cardamoms, cinnamon, black peppers, bay leaves),

I added the ginger and garlic paste and fried for a couple of minutes

I then added the meat pieces, salt, chilli powder.

tend stir fried until meat is nicely browned on all sides. Then I added my potato cubes in.

I added the rest of the yoghurt, fa chopped the tomatoes and added them in, (mint and coriander would have been great… but I didn’t have any)Then tend continued stirring frequently, until meat was half done and the gravy made by the yoghurt had reduced.

fa boiled the water for the rice, and I added a bit of cardamom (mint and coriander would have been great here too… still didn’t have any)

we added rice to the water and boiled it briskly for 5-7 min, with lid off, until half done (feels a bit grainy when squashed between fingers)

I drained the water off in a large sieve and poured cold water over it to stop it cooking

I then put all the meat in a large thick based pot with a tight lid. Then I layered the rice on top of the meat in the pot.

I drizzled my saffron water on top as well as some leftover spices a bit of masala. The saffron smelled divine!!!

I dotted a bit of butter on top of the rice

I then covered the pot with a tight lid. And on a very low stove top cooked for about 30 min

I served it with a mix of sour cream and yoghurt with basil and oregano in it and lemon juice… I know a bit odd but it went down well!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin